WHY THIS ISSUE IS IMPORTANT: President Obama has indicated his support for comprehensive immigration reform and promised during his campaign to move this issue during his first year in office. Several members of Congress have also stated their support for a comprehensive immigration reform bill to move forward this year. CLICK HERE TO TAKE ACTION
WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH MY FAITH? The Catholic Church’s teaching on migration is based on the commitment to promote and defend human dignity with particular attention to the most vulnerable. These principles include:
- People have the right to find opportunities within their own homeland: they have the “right not to migrate.”
- People have the right to migrate to support themselves and their families where conditions do not exist to meet their basic needs.
- Sovereign nations have the right to control their borders.
- The human dignity and human rights of all migrants should be respected as part of enforcement and border control practices.
Tell your members of Congress that fixing our broken immigration system is important to you. Such comprehensive immigration reform legislation should include the following provisions:
1) A path to citizenship for the undocumented persons currently in our country.
2) Reform of our employment-based immigration system so that migrant workers can enter the United States and work in a safe, regulated, and humane manner.
3) Reform of the family-based immigration system so that waiting times for families to reunite in the U.S. are significantly reduced.
4) Restoration of due process protections for immigrants, including judicial discretion in removal proceedings, reform of our detention policies, and elimination of the 3 and 10-year bars to re-entry.
5) Initiatives that address the root causes of migration, such as promoting economic development in poor nations.
For further information contact:
Tina Rodousakis, CRS Grassroots Advocacy Manager, 1-800-235-2772 x 7462; email@example.com